CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 3, 2007

Revelations


Spent the weekend with a close friend in Southwestern Virginia biking, hiking, camping, listening to music, and getting to know each other better. This was a trip I'll remember for a very long time as a special, one-of-a-kind vacation weekend.

We left Saturday morning and hit the Virginia Creeper trail in Damascus, VA. The trail used to be a railroad and has been turned into a fantastic biking/equestrian/hiking trail. We biked 18 miles, 9 out and back along the river. The landscape changed about every half mile from meadows with wildflowers to rocky cliffs to pasture to residential. It was one of the most beautiful trails I've been on in a long time. I haven't ridden a bike in a very long time, and certainly not on a trail. My butt is still sore, but this kind of experience and mileage in such a gorgeous place was awesome.

We arrived at camp and got set up, built a fire and cooked dinner together. After showers and s'mores, we turned in for the night. It was getting really cool, and we were both very tired from our driving commute and long bike ride.

The next morning we both got up late, had a very pleasant brunch, and headed out to explore the campground and surroundings. We took a short hike, taking our time and enjoying the changing scenery. We arrived at a pinnacle and stayed for a short time to watch for birds, looked thru the binocs at christmas tree farms across the valley, and read the brochure about the history of the area we were in. I knew I loved the mountains, but every time I get out in them and really allow myself to just "be", I fall in love with them all over again.

After our hike and dinner, we went to hear some music at the campground amphitheater. The second half of the concert featured Wayne Henderson and his band. Mr. Henderson is an instrument maker for some of the best and well-known musicians world-wide. He is also an incredible bluegrass musician. It was incredible to see such an accomplished craftsman play live in such an informal, intimate atmosphere. The folks on stage with him were as laid back and talented. The thing that made the concert so special though was the way they interacted with each other on an intuitive level. They were connected through their souls in music as if there was no one watching them on stage. They demonstrated what I think music is all about. They also provided for me a rejuvenated look at why I chose music therapy as my career. In a world of judgment and expectations for perfection, music is a place to simply feel and connect and heal. It was a blessing to witness this happening live again.

We reluctantly packed up this morning and wandered home after another yummy breakfast, fire, and some campground exploring. While out, we encountered a white-tailed deer and a couple of chipmunks. We also found a puddle in the top of a rock with about 50 mosquito larvae in it. I love the critters!

I couldn't have asked for better weather, company, activities, or scenery for the weekend. It all seemed so perfect and peaceful.

I think the most magical part of this whole trip was the company I was with. I feel like this is exactly where I'm supposed to be right now. I am experiencing parts of a relationship that I never felt comfortable with before. There seems to be no awkwardness, pressure, expectation, or drama. I know that part of this comes from my efforts to be in the moment, but something I can't explain is there that feels new and different. I will continue to be aware and wait for the explanation to come.

0 comments: